Thursday, February 5, 2009

Is it an early spring, or just a tease?

It's really warm here right now. Like, REALLY warm. Today it was in the 50's. In the 50's! It's February. Early February. This fantastic springtime weather is about 2 months early.

Today at elementary school, I played with my 1st graders during the lunchtime recess, and then, because I had no classes after lunch, again for about 2 hours in the afternoon before it was time to go home. We played on swings, on the bars, the jungle gym, played several games of tag, and dodge ball. They rode around on the unicycles (which I've always found fascinating - can you imagine a shed full of unicycles for the kids to play on during recess in the US?) and played on stilts (another safety-conscious toy that shows up at the schools here) and I tickled them as they tried to cross the monkey bars. We ran all over that dirt school yard, which should be covered in snow at this time of year, but which is only a bit damp and a little squishy. And me with nothing more than my fleece vest.

As far as "normal" life is concerned, the warm weather is fantastic. Lots of chances to enjoy being outside and it's way easier than shoveling my car free in the morning. Even the parking lot for my apartment is all but snow-free at this point. My olive oil is liquid, for pete's sake!

But as far as winter sports are concerned, this weather couldn't have come at a worse time. The snow, quite frankly, sucks for snowboarding or skiing. I went last Sunday and it was, quite 'meh'. And right now Takayama is hosting the All Japan Junior High School Ski Tournament. I have several students participating, actually. And I can just imagine what they must be thinking... now, of all times, to have this glorious weather. LOL

Ah, Mother Nature. How you do like to toy with us so.

No comments: