Sunday, May 17, 2009

green alligators, some long-necked geese...

This past weekend (May 16-17) was the All-Japan ALT Soccer Tournament. There are two tournaments held every year, one in the spring and one in the fall, although this is the first time I've gone to one. Usually the spring one is in June, but for some reason they moved it up a month early, so we got to play in some lovely springtime weather (driving rain and wind ^^)

Gifu prefecture was only represented by the girl's team this year as the boys failed to get their act together in time. We were the only participating prefecture with no men's team. Rock on Gifu Pirates!!!

And since our prefecture is pretty large, and our team members are spread from the north (where I live) to the south, this was also the first time we've all played together. The result? After 4 games yesterday and 3 today, in the wind and the rain and the cold, we came in 3rd place (out of 6). Not bad, eh? Honestly we weren't THAT upset when we were eliminated in the semi-final round, as the losing team was free to go home afterwards and we'd all had about enough of being cold and wet.

After 2 days spent outside in nasty weather playing soccer, and then another 3 hours driving home, followed by a quick stop for dinner, I realized I needed to do some shopping before I went home. Cause I knew once I was in I'd collapse into an exhausted, lumpy heap on my bed. So I stopped at my usual supermarket on the way home, hair still a mess from being wet and wind-blown (thus resulting in it being very VERY stringy and curly) and up in a pony tail, and wearing the sweatshirt and fleece pants I changed into after the last game. And it slipped my mind that just about every time I go to this place I see someone I know, seeing as it's the closest market to my towns.

Sure enough, as I'm grabbing some milk I turn around and there's one of my 7th graders with his mom. He says hi and I ask him how he is (your typical quick say-hi-without-really-wanting-to-talk greeting). His mom, who I may or may not have met in the past (can't remember, but most people in my town know who I am even when I have no idea who they are), comes over to say hi and looks in my basket.

The contents of my basket are:
apples
bananas
soba noodles
ground chicken
ground pork
milk

"mom": what are you picking up?
me: *looks in basket*...*grins*....uh, food?
"mom": food! ha ha ha ha ha! *slaps me on the back*
student: *looks embarrassed*slowly creeps away*
me: *continuing to grin at the absurdity of this conversation*
"mom": *points at her son*keep up the good work with him, eh?
me: yes mam!

This was followed by me being spotted by and waving to/ saying hello to at least 4 other students before making it out of the store. still in sweats, hair still a curly mop.

And you know what? It was just another example of why my town is so awesome. Cause I can totally do that and not be embarrassed, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha =D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*You* are eating ground pork?

Jen said...

I know, I know, how the mighty have fallen.... :P