Saturday, December 12, 2009

On pleasant surprises at the 100 Yen Shop

My favorite Japanese entertainer of all-time is a man by the name of Nagase Tomoya (family-name first, personal-name last). He's the lead singer of the band TOKIO and an actor who has appeared in many, MANY dramas. In fact, he's the guy who played the lead in my very first (and still one of my favorite) Japanese dramas, My Boss My Hero. You may or may not remember the post I made about it shortly after moving to Japan in 2007. He was also the lead in Utahime. ^_^

Anyway, I've made good use of this particular idol, all of my students know he's my favorite and I often use my "crush" on him to humorous effect in the classroom. It comes in really handy for demonstrating personal preference "I like Nagase Tomoya. Do you like Nagase Tomoya? Yes, I do!", comparatives "Nagase Tomoya is the most handsome actor in the world", passive-voice "I have loved Nagase Tomoya since 2007", etc.

And one of the best parts about living in Japan is that I get to see his mug everywhere. On tv. In movies. In magazines. And advertising just about anything you can imagine. Like cell phones



And jeans


Just today I was at the 100 Yen Shop and I saw this beautiful advertisement for Asahi beer:

I do believe he has advertised Suntory Beer as well

photo from tubefire
I'm actually more of a Kirin fan, but they've yet to use him in advertising (that I know of, anyway), hahahahaha
d(^_^)b

5 comments:

barcafana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ArthurFrDent said...

wow, that IS quite the crush now, isn't it... and? who's the girl? :devil: what? I'm sure I'd have crushes too, if I watched Japanese TV and commercials...

Jen said...

@ Sasa - actually I'm just getting ready to head home for Christmas next weekend and I have to work during the days next week. If you email me (there's a link on the blog) we might be able to work something out for dinner or coffee, depending on when you are here :)

BUT, there are plenty of other English speakers here who might have time to spend with you. Have you heard of couchsurfing? There are several people here who participate, and it might be a good chance for you to find a friend to spend time with in any city you visit! http://www.couchsurfing.org/

Thanks for reading, and enjoy your time in Takayama!

barcafana said...

Yes i thought you will be going home. But i will arrive in Takayama on Friday 18th so we can still meet for a dinner or a coffee like you said. And that would be great. Actually the link for your email seem to be broken. But i will contact you through your couchsurfing account. Ah i wish i knew about this thing earlier. I wouldn't had booked a hotel then. I had no idea i could sleep at someones home. Thank you for telling me about it.
Looking forward to see you Jen.

sasa

Jen said...

Oh! I didn't realize the email link was broken. Thanks!