Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The start of the goodbyes...

Today was junior high school graduation day. It's my third one now, so instead of writing about the ceremony (which I did my first year) or my attire (last year), this time I'm going to write a top ten of what I've learned in 3 years of ceremonies in Japan, should you ever find yourself at one ^_^

1) Graduation ceremonies are extremely formal, solemn events, ridden with tradition and ceremony.

2) As such, there is no cheering, and only occasional clapping. Everyone does everything, and I do mean everything, as a group. Also, you will bow, in unison, many, MANY times.

3) In a shrewd display of planning, the ceremony is held mid-week, making it easy for parents to attend.
...Also, no friends or siblings will be there; for the most part it's the students, teachers, parents, and various "important" members of the community (PTA, police, mayor, etc).

4) Graduation is a white-tie affair. Occasionally, women will wear kimono.

5) Against all their effort to remain stoic, SOMEONE always ends up crying.

6) If you live in the mountains, be prepared for snow. Heavy, wet, spring snow. And yes, it's snowing here today :/

7) Be sure to bring a change of clothes for after the ceremony - nobody wants to be "that guy" stuck in a suit all day. Especially when the kids all go home at noon! And keep in mind you're going to have absolutely nothing to do afterward, you'll have to find something to do to keep yourself busy.

8) No school lunch! Yeay! Bento!

9) The graduation enkai (work party) is the first of the "spring-enkai season". 2 weeks later you'll have the end-of-the-school-year party, followed by the goodbye party for departing teachers, the welcome party for new teachers, and then there's the opening-day party. All within the span of less than a month o_O By the way, I work at 4 schools. They're fun ^_^ But can get quite expensive!

10) Charge your camera battery, clear off your memory-stick, and be prepared for lots and lots of pictures! It's the best (and last, in many cases) chance to get photos with your departing graduates. If you're lucky, you might run into them later on in town, or during the spring or autumn festivals. Sometimes I see them if I have to ride the train, but for the most part, this is kind of the end of your relationship with them, so make the most of it!

2 comments:

ArthurfrDent said...

so d'ja #5 yet? and parties... I'd bet money I wouldn't be invited to those parties either... :devil:

Jen said...

I managed to hold it together at the ceremony, but I will admit to a few tears during my last class in Kuguno and when the kids in Miya sang to me the day before graduation ;)