Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I'm still alive, just a little disconnected

Hi all! Sorry for the lack of updates. My grand plan to take over my predecessor's internet at the apartment hit a few snags, and I am unable to get online from home. So for now I am only able to access the internet from school, and since it's summer break right now I am not spending much time there.

Right now I am posting from the common computer at one of my schools as the teacher who can hook my laptop up to the school network is not here today. Also, communicating with the staff is a tad difficult today as I opted to come in even though my english teacher is not here. I am really anxious about my first class - at this school I am in charge of the optional English "chat" classes, and it just so happens that my first class here will be one of those! My other three classes will all just be my self-intro, and as we all know, I can talk about myself for hours so I'm not really worried about those.

Takayama is BEAUTIFUL. And I love my little town, Miya. My apartment is great and I have so many pictures and stories to share. But I have to wait until my internet is working from home before I can update so you will just have to wait a little longer for that. But, I can give you a little preview and tell you that I plan to talk about the trip from Tokyo to Takayama, meeting my new crowd, my apt, my schols, the food, and going to Gifu City last weekend for the amazing fireworks festival. In which a new ALT from England and I got separated from the rest of our group and wandered amongst throngs of Japanese trying to find 15 non-Japanese people, lol Also, yesterday we met the mayor of Takayama and I've already been in the local paper once :D The people here are all really nice and very helpful. And the students are so interested in me - they huddle in groups and stare and wave at me from a distance, and then giggle when I wave and say hi. It's really cute, I can't wait to get to know them :)

For now, keep your fingers crossed my interent gets working soon!!!

1 comment:

Julien Katchinoff said...

Whoah! A) Could your pictures of snacks be any more Japanese? I mean; Melon Creamsoda???! Fantastic!!!! B) Your town looks amazing, and, again, could'nt look more Japanese! What a great experience! Keep us updated and have fun. -- Julien and Martha