Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Taiko

In an attempt to further integrate myself with the local culture, and because it's so damn cool, I've joined a kumi-daiko (taiko) group in Takayama. Taiko are Japanese drums, kumi-daiko is a taiko ensemble (literally). So I am basically studying Japanese drumming. It's one of the coolest things you'll ever see.



I found this group via my JTE at MJH, who knows someone who trains with them. She also happens to speak fantastic English ^_^ So, she let me tag along last week to see if I liked it, and this week I officially joined. We meet Tuedays at 730ish, practice until 930ish, then sit around and chat until 10ish. This particular group consists only of women; though I was told that there was a guy in it at one time, the last man to be the ALT in Miya (3 years ago). The women are awesome, even though it's difficult for the majority of them to communicate with me, they are still kind and helpful and really accomodating. Since I don't have a car, someone has to come pick me up at the train station, then drive me back after practice (the place we rehearse is west of town in the countryside where people won't be annoyed by loud drums late at night).



Last week I mostly just watched them play, but this week I got to try my hand at it - and I suck, lol It's really hard! But I will get better with time ^_^

The view from where I drummed




They also do dancing, which I will learn at some point...


This week we had the added bonus of two adorable kids, who were really shy for like, 5 minutes. And then they were all over me ^_^ Eigo no sensei (English teacher)!!! Being elementary age kids, all English teachers do with them is play. So while the adults were chatting, in Japanese, we played. A lot. And it was fun. ^_^




The best thing about playing with kids at this age is that it doesn't matter what language you speak. Play is play! It's universal ^__^

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aha- you liked those drums in Nagano more than you said- Mom